Sunday, June 26, 2011

Frida's Book

We talked about the diary of Frida Kahlo last week so I wanted to post just a few images contained within this beautifully rendered, intimate manuscript. While Frida's diary isn't an altered book per se, it is a mixed media account of her life, and as such, relates to the work we're doing in class. I've always been drawn to this book because I find Frida's images passionate and rich and her handwriting full of spirit and beauty. I also really like how the ink Frida used in her diary soaks through the pages so you get a reversed image of light text on the page you're viewing. (Reminds me of the Medieval palimpsests I mentioned in class as the first unofficial altered books.) I'll bring my copy of Frida's diary to class on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment