Sunday, January 16, 2011

backgrounds.

This post contains a few examples of backgrounds (first layers) to give you an idea of different techniques you may want to use as you being to create your pages. We'll be discussing (and experimenting with) backgrounds at length on Wednesday.














Above: Each side of this two-page spread was completed using a different background technique. On the left, I tore strips from a magazine image and glued them down vertically, leaving space for the book's paper to show through. Using metallic silver sharpie and oil pastels I added some extra color and texture in between the magazine strips. On the right side, I started by drawing vertical, organic lines with a white crayon. I then created a wax resist using a light watercolor wash of different cool colors. When this was dry I took a fine brush and applied some darker lines of watercolor paint in between the white crayon. When this was dry, I went back through with a light blue crayon to emphasize and add more depth to the pattern of lines that was emerging.
While each side is clearly made with different techniques and media, I used a similar palette and repeating vertical lines for them both so that the two pages were in harmony with one another.














Above: Using gold paint and bubble wrap I made a print on top of a light watercolor wash. Using two colors that are similar in value and hue (I chose gold and washed-out light green) I give the background pattern and texture without making it too loud or distracting. Creating a non-dominant background can be important if your next layers are subtle or detailed. You don't want anything competing with the more significant aspects of a work.















Above: A first layer created using text from the page and oil pastels. Due to vigorous blending of oil pastels, the paper became rough in parts and even started to tear. I exaggerated the tears in order to make them more deliberate design elements in this composition, thus lending more depth to these pages. This is an example of a background that is strong and expressive. The meaning of this two-page spread is really contained here, in this first layer. While I will be adding more layers to this spread, I will have to make sure that additional elements are consonant with the mood I've already created in this first layer.

No comments:

Post a Comment