Monday, January 17, 2011

cut paper

I want to share this altered book with you even though it doesn't have anything to do with backgrounds, which is what I've been trying to emphasize in my recent posts.















I love the simplicity of the materials and technique in this example. I looks to me like this artist used only paper and glue and, implementing a variety of cutting, folding, and weaving techniques, created a cool, three-dimensional, surrealist collage/landscape for his or her book. I've talked a lot about mixed media approaches to altered book making, but this artist makes one medium - paper - do really exciting things. Using a multitude of materials is fun, and can be incredibly effective, but is not at all necessary for achieving an interesting, thought-provoking book.

No comments:

Post a Comment