Tuesday, January 25, 2011

simple compositions

Along the lines of our "getting started" discussion, I thought I'd post a few pages I started this week to give you an idea of simple designs. The composition of each of these spreads is simple and the design elements are rather uncluttered, even sparse. I'm not actually sure I'm finished with these pages yet, but I thought I'd post them as examples of a less-is-more approach.















The above spread is pretty simple. Masking tape around text and metallic silver sharpie marker on the left. The sewn edge which was a design element from the preceding spread also works well with these pages. I like the monumental feel of the fields of color and the angles of the tape, and I also like the way the colors work together. I think the thread, tape and metal combination are raw and unfettered. I toyed around with including different images or drawings on the right but think I'm leaving it image-free. I want the text to speak volumes and not be interpreted for the viewer. On the left, I am still trying to figure out how to add something around the text to help emphasize it just a little more without interrupting the calming unity of the tape and text. I like the monochromatic feel of that tape field and if I add something around the text I feel like it will change the composition too radically. I'm still not sure what to do there.















The above image illustrates the pairing of a symmetrical element with an asymmetrical element. There is a dissonance created by pairing these two composition types, one calm and stable, one exciting and dynamic. Instead of being at ease with the image, our minds want to reconcile the dissonance by finding meaning in it.














The pages above are another example of a dynamic composition. Diagonal compositions create energy and are seen as having movement. I love the energy this image gives my spread because the singer's face is presented to us at an angle and therefore appears alive and fluid. The power of this energy allows me to include linear, boxy text lines and even layer the word "silence" over the image. Because this dynamism is so overt, I can contradict it without overpowering it, and thus enhance the idea I wish to express.

No comments:

Post a Comment